Monday, September 9, 2013

So Long Sweet Summer

Summer was a beautiful thing.
Beautiful.
It was lazy and fun and over before I knew it.

The boys took two, two week sessions of swimming lessons at the pool down the street from us. During those four weeks, they got to swim for free. Since the pool is right by the lake, most afternoons right after their lessons, we would eat a packed lunch on the grass by the lake and then spend another hour or so swimming.


The kids loved it. It was definitely one of my favorite parts of the summer.
And Boston was a champ and kindly napped in the stroller in the shade every time we went.

Ty finished up another season of soccer.
Nearby fires turned our skies dark and filled the air with ash.

We spent hours and hours playing legos. Ty and Jax are on a serious lego kick these days.

Our neighborhood started a "Walk About" tradition. 
Every Sunday evening, one house had treats  out front for all the neighbors, but you had to walk with your family to find what house. It was something we all looked forward to every week.




Tim and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary.
We went on a hot date to The Cheesecake factory (with Boston).
I love our neighborhood.... but not as much as my kids do.
We are surrounded by nice kids that are right around their ages.
Many summer days were spent with a house/yard full of kids.
Three of these boys are named Owen.

When we weren't playing with friends, we were playing with cousins.










A couple weeks into summer I read Jen Hatmaker's blog post about Surviving Summer.
In their family they have "Mystery Thursday" where every Thursday during the summer they go somewhere and do something. Well I loved the idea (and I love her blog). Since Tim is off work on Tuesdays, we started "Mystery Tuesday". So, every Tuesday, we went on an Adventure. Sometimes our adventures were free, and sometimes they cost money. But they were always fun, and they were always a mystery. The kids never knew until we got to our destination. 
Mystery Tuesday was a huge success!

We did things like go to the zoo...






Hazel's birthday party happened to fall on a Tuesday, so her party served as a Mystery Tuesday.
I hid the invitation from the boys so that it would be a surprise.











We bought all the boys matching (glow in the dark) dino shirts and took them to the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving point. 












Delilah's birthday also fell on a Tuesday so her birthday also served as a Mystery Tuesday. 






Baby photobomber




We didn't start Mystery Tuesday until a few weeks into the summer and there were a few Tuesdays we were busy with other things so we didn't get to do as many things as I had hoped.. but those were just a few things we did (we also went to the cabin and lagoon). 
The kids are already looking forward to next summer's Mystery Tuesday.

When we weren't busy with mystery tuesday, birthday parties, sending Daniel on a mission, and celebrating summer holidays, we just spent a lot of time hanging out at home
I went inside to switch the laundry right after taking this picture, and when I came back out, Madee was completely naked... sorry neighbors!

Tim surprised the kids with this table at the beginning of the summer and we put it to good use.




I can honestly say that summer is my favorite time of the year.

0 comments: