All summer long I have debated on whether or not to send Tyler to Kindergarten this year. He turned five in June, so he meets the deadline to go, but some people have suggested holding him back a year so he will be the oldest in his class, rather than the youngest. I talked to countless people, and heard dozens of opinions and examples of other kids in Tyler's situation. I talked to friends, family, teachers, school counselors etc. Most educators told me, "When in doubt, keep him out". Especially because he is a boy, because boys have a tendency to be more imature, and struggle more with school. Although he has already had two years of preschool, and both of his preschool teachers thought he would be just fine to start this year.
I swayed back and forth constnatly. I had him registerred for preschool and kindergarten for months. I didn't want to just make a decision, I wanted to make the right decision. Not just what the world thought was the right decision, but what was best for Tyler.
I was leaning more towards holding him back.
I really wanted to hold him back.
I wanted him to be the oldest. I figured if he was the older, it would give him a boost academically. He would turn 16 and be one of the first of his friends to drive, and to date. I had countless logical reasons to send him to preschool one more year, rather than kindergarten.
But....
Every time I settled on holding him back, I just felt weird about it. I couldn't solidify my decision, as much as it made sense to me, because I didn't feel good about it. He did two kindergarten assessments and each time he tested just fine for kindergarten. I wasn't worried about him academically, I knew he was ready. My concerns were more for his emotional maturity, and as I said before, I thought being older would help him. Even now, I panic occasionally wondering if we have made the right decision. I wonder if he will be mad we didn't hold him back ten years from now when many of his peers are getting their drivers licenses.
But, when it came right down to it, Tim and I both felt better about sending him this year.
So....
My little boy is starting Kindergarten tomorrow.
I think he is ready.
I think he will love it.
But--
I am most definitely not ready. Once your kids start school, nothing is the same. It completely changes the routine of our family. I realize that everyone says this, but he grew up too fast! Where have the past five years gone? I'm worried that I have taken them for granted. Every time he crawls up on my lap, I am shocked at how big he is. I want to freeze time. I want to hold him just how he is now. Because today, he is still mine. He is still my little boy. Every day he grows older, and with each day, he gains more and more independence. He needs me a little less every day. And although, I know this is a good thing, it still makes me a little sad.
Don't get me wrong, as hard as it is for me to let go, I am excited for him. I think he will love this new adventure.....
Because of our move, Tyler's last day of preschool was a couple of months before the school year actually ended. On his last day, I took some pictures (of course).
Monday, August 29, 2011
School
I tried to get him to stand in front of the school and smile for a picture, but he was pretty excited about making silly faces/poses so instead I got these pictures.
Tyler and Clara
His teacher, Miss Sandra
This year Tyler had a group of boys that he really enjoyed playing with. We heard many stories about "Nolan, Eli, and Bob the Builder " throughout the year (I can't remember what Bob the Builder's real name is, but that is what Tyler always referred to him as anyways- No idea why). They weren't all there that day, but I tried to get some pictures of them together. They were so silly.
Tammy was Tyler's teacher the year before, and helped in his class this year. He is a big fan of Tammy's.
When we moved, Tyler did a few weeks of summer preschool at the local elementary school. He loved it, and always came home singing a new song.
These were Tyler's Summer preschool teachers, Miss Karma (or Miss Carmel as Tyler called her) and Miss Janet.
When his other preschool class officially ended, we went down for their "End of the Year" Party at the park.
Tyler was so happy to see some of his old friends again.
Tyler and Clara again. Tyler has plans to marry Clara, since we informed him he couldn't marry Hazel (hope that's okay, Joni...). Although Clara is moving out of state soon.... I haven't broken the news to him yet.
I think Jaxen had just as much fun as Tyler. He kicked that orange ball around for almost an hour.
Watching little boys play is always entertaining.
Here is a picture of Tyler on the first day of preschool last August. I can't believe how much he has changed in the last year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















5 comments:
Hi! My birthday was in June so I was the youngest too. I know the drivers license thing seems like a big deal but honestly when I was going through it I never felt left out cause my friends had theirs it was just obvious that you don't get it til you are 16 and I wasnt 16 yet so it made sense. I also loved the fact that I graduated at 17 and turned 18 days later. I felt like I kind of got a jump start on things. Instead of being 22 when you would graduate 4 years of college you are only 21. Anyways the point of this is I loved it!!!
That would be such a tough decision...because it affects him for so long...not just for now. But I think he'll love kindergarten and he'll be fine sophomore year. Jacob and I couldn't date or drive all of 10th grade and we still managed to enjoy it. I can't believe you have a school aged kid already!
Oh my gosh, I know how you feel! Bri started FIRST GRADE this year and its so hard for me!!! It scares me so much, they do grow up just way to fast!
Tyler and Clara will have to have a long distance relationship for a couple years. Their romance can continue in 2013. I think Tyler will do great in Kindergarten- and if you feel that is what is right for him- then there is no doubt that is what's right :)
Wow! He has changed a lot! They grow fast-what a handsome boy! Glad your 3 kids have such loving wonderful parents :) Robert did kindergarten twice :) He kicked the teacher-I can't imagine him doing that! and so I was held back too-what matters is what is best for the kid-I'm sure you were prayerful and he looks happy :) In random reading on homeschooling I found out kindergarten isn't even required in CA!
Post a Comment