Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Darn Appendix

Sunday night my stomach started hurting. This was no big surprise because I have ulcers. After a few hours it was pretty unbearable. I was in some serious pain and nothing was helping. I was throwing up and blacking out and I could hardly walk. At one point I blacked out on the bathroom floor (so dignified) and woke up with Tyler's face and inch from mine and he said, "It's not nap time mom. It's time to go to grandma's". As if I frequently took naps on the bathroom floor. Tim loaded us all up in the car around midnight and dropped the kids off at my parents before going to the ER at Jordan Valley hospital.
We then proceded to wait in the waiting room for (what seemed like) forever.
When we finally got in, they took some blood, poked at me, and did a CT scan only to realize I had acute appendicitis.
I got into surgury early monday morning (after a blessing from my Dad and Tim). I don't remember much of that day. I barely remember who came to see me, but I hear everything I said was rather amusing.

We were supposed to go home Tuesday, but just as we were signing the discharge papers they took my vitals only to realize I had a fever and a very high heart rate (around 130 for those of you know anything about it). They cancled my discharge and started antibiotics, did chest x-rays (they were worried about blood clots and pnemonia), and ran a bunch of other unpleasant tests. None of the tests came back significantly abnormal but after hours and hours of IV antibiotics my heart rate and fever came down.

My father in law brought Tim his lap top so he could work on some homework and since Tim is taking a little nap I stole it. Now I am just waiting for my doctor to come (hopefully) to tell me I can go home.

As miserable as this experience has been I have been so grateful throughout it. I am grateful to my family who have come by and brought food, books, flowers, and comfort. I am grateful for the text messages and phone calls. I am so thankful to my mom who has taken my two kids for three days. Jaxen has never had a bottle so he has been less than happy.

Most of all, I am grateful to my husband. He has stayed by my side for the majority of the last three days. He has held my hand, held back my hair while I puked, slept three nights on a chair, helped me to the bathroom, washed my hair, put on my socks, and countless other little services that have touched my heart. I love him so much.

Please keep in mind I am still at the hospital and on painkillers so if none of this makes any sense, that is why...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry sicky. Let me know if you need anything. I'm a good helper. I'm glad things didn't go badly as they did with our friend that one time (remember that?).

Meredith said...

That totally sucks! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. But it's wonderful that you have a great husband to stand by your side- it makes it so much easier!

Mandy said...

Has the nursing gone okay for you?

Anyway, who need an appendix? Your story exactly, only they were SURE I just had a cyst on my ovary. Well, my mom insisted they just go in anyway, it ruptured as they were opening me up. Sick, sick, sick...
Glad they caught it! I just love it when the husbands kick into gear when you get so sick. I wish it would be like that on at least a monthly basis, right?? (without the sickness, of course.) Hope you get to go home soon.

Michelle said...

I am so glad you have Tim! Please, please, call me if I can do anything for you. :)

The Kelstroms said...

Oh my gosh Carlye! Hope everything is okay. Please let us know what we can do to help

Jessi Fogg said...

Save some of those pain killers for me!

Belle said...

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope you get better soon! I am so happy Tim can be there and your mom can watch the kids! Tim is such a sweetheart-saki is sweet during trying times like that too. Glenn and Mere would not take bottles either, I finally tried walmart's 97 cent bottle and bought a FAST FLow nipple for it he took it!!!! worth a try. We'll keep you all in our prayers!

Keely said...

I'm so sorry for you Carlye! I hope you're on the road to recovery and every day just gets better.

marcie said...

Holy Jeez! That's sucky Carlye. I'm glad you had that game to occupy some free time... Although I do predict you were at a disadvantage with all that medicine likely blurring your vision, haha!

And it's always nice to find out that the person you're married to for time and all eternity actually likes you and can't stand to see you sick and would miss you if you were gone :)

Anonymous said...

You have such a good husband Carlye. I sure hope you are feeling better.