Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Aliens

Recently Tyler had a dream about aliens.
In the dream, the aliens were getting people with their tongues and eating them.
I have no idea where he would have picked up this idea, but it was floating around his brain nonetheless.
When he woke up, the first thing he saw was two large garbage bags in the corner of his room.
They are full of stuffed animals and blankets, ready to move.
In his sleepy, terrified state, he thought there were aliens inside.

Needless to say he was rather frightened.

Ever since this experience, he is scared to be alone. He won't even go to the bathroom alone.
Bedtime is rough. He cries hysterically until I sit in there with him while he goes to sleep (even though his brother is two feet away... I guess Jaxen doesn't count as alien protection).  He wakes up during the night and sneaks into bed with me. Most nights Tim is at work, so I don't really notice until morning. Or until I get up to pee for the 9th time.

I've tried every way I can think of to explain to him that aliens aren't real. That dreams aren't real. That he is safe. He seems to understand and believe me. But his fear is genuine and persistent. I'm kind of at a loss.... I realize it's just a phase, but any suggestions on how to help him overcome his alien fear quickly would be appreciated. Seriously, the whole thing sounds a little ridiculous, but it's becoming a bit of a problem.

I just never thought aliens would cause me this much trouble.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe feed it and give him some sort of magic alien protective object and let him sleep with it because it wards off aliens. I don't have children...but I've always learned that lying is the best route! jk...but it might work.