Monday, March 16, 2009

Um, Seriously???

So this today was the big day. The day we were going to have our baby. We were stoked. We had to get up at 6:00 AM and call the hospital to make sure we were still good to go. Unfortunately they had had a busy night and told us we could come in at noon. I was disappointed but I ate a ice cream sandwich and tried to go back to sleep. Then at around 8:30 they called back and said we could come in at anytime. So, we got up and got ready and went to the hospital. Since we thought we would be going in MUCH earlier Tyler spent the night at my mom's. 


We got to the hospital and got all admitted (why does that always take so long??). Then we got in our room, I got changed and they got me all ready. They got the IV in and started IV fluid and penicillin. They had to do a series of penicillin before they could start the pitocin because I have strep B. As it turns out, penicillin doesn't feel fantastic going in your arm. Who knew? Not me. Well I know now. 

As soon as the antibiotics were finished they decided to do an ultra sound before starting me, which was fine. . . except they couldn't find his blasted head. I told them I was pretty sure he had one, so they kept looking. Turns out the little stinker flipped! He is now in a transverse position, which means he's sideways, with his cute little head nice and snug in my rib cage. So, after all that. . we went home--and Tim had to go to work. :-( 

Now we have to go see my doctor Wednesday morning to see if he has flipped back. If he hasn't (which I don't really see that happening, but who knows? I don't know how he did it in the first place) then we will have to schedule a C-Section. If he has moved back into a normal position  then hopefully we can just schedule another induction. The main reason we were so anxious to have the baby this week was for Tim's spring break. Now it looks like we will probably not have the baby this week, which is disappointing. But . . . oh well. At least he is healthy-- just sideways.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

That sucks! Heidi had to manuver Nick around and the doctor made her stick her butt out and have her "write" the ABC's with her tush. That seemed to do the trick of turning him around. However, a C-section is really not that bad! Good luck!

Amberly said...

Hmmm writing the ABC's with your tush? I think I'd rather have the c-section! ;) In all seriousness, good luck. I'm sure it was disappointing to have to leave the hospital with a baby still in your belly, but I think stuff like this probably happens for a reason. It will all turn out!

Meredith said...

That's not fun at all! Hopefully he will flip so you don't have to have a C-Section...good luck!

Keely said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keely said...

Oh Carlye...that totally sucks! How in the world did he turn sideways being this far along? I thought they pretty much were lodged in by now. :)

Cassidy Meine said...

Seriously Carlye, try the ABC butt thing. If you have to have a CSection... you'll make it through but I would DEFINITELY reccomend trying every Old Wives Tale Trick before submitting to that (just my opinion though!!!). I've really heard to go on all fours with your head down and butt up as much as you can and that helps them flip so the ABC thing sounds great to me!

Carlye said...

I'm really going to try it. Everyone is telling me to do different things with my butt in the air . . So it looks like that's how I'll be spending my evening. . . Thanks guys!