Monday, February 27, 2012

Madee's First Solid Foods

Photobucket
We gave Madee her first few bites of solid foods a couple of weeks ago.
It went a little like this....
Photobucket
Excited to be at the table in a big boy girl chair.
Photobucket
Interested in what Dad has...
Photobucket
The first bite.
Photobucket
"That was funny Dad"
Photobucket
"You put something in my mouth. How clever of you, Dad!"
Photobucket
"Mom, Dad is pretty funny. Do you see what he put in my mouth?"
Photobucket
"That really doesn't taste very good"
Photobucket
"That's downright awful"
Photobucket
"HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!!!"
Photobucket

She detested rice cereal.
And green beans.
She gagged, shuddered, and spit it out everywhere.

A couple of days later, I tried mixing the rice cereal with breast milk.
It was a little improvement, but she still blew raspberries as soon as the spoon touched her tongue. 
Everything within a three foot radius was covered in rice cereal by the time I threw in the towel.

It's been a couple weeks of trying, and she still spits and hates her life throughout the whole process.
I've found she prefers pureed fruits and vegetables over rice cereal, and won't even consider anything mixed with formula
It helps if she eats when we're all eating...but it's still not much of an improvement.
I'm very open to suggestions. 

I'm not sure if the spitting is more of a habit or if it's to get the blasted food out of her mouth...
but how in the world do I get her to STOP??!!

5 comments:

jessica said...

Beats me. I didn't push solids at all. She didn't try a thing til 6 months and I wasn't doing it on a daily basis until 8 months or so. If she isnt up for it i say THE MORE BOOB THE BETTER!! Any idea how I get Evie to stop throwing her food on the floor???

Anonymous said...

Avynlee thinks blowing raspberries while eating is hilarious. I don't know the solution to that at all. When she acts interested in eating, sometimes I dip my finger in something (pureed peaches, pureed carrots) and let her suck on it. She usually doesn't like it the first time but wants more anyway. After that, I can usually spoon feed her 10-12 bites and she's jazzed about it. She doesn't like "cereal" plain. It has to be mixed with something. We've only tried peaches, apples, bananas, squash, yams, and carrots. She prefers the last too and doesn't really love baby food bananas but likes them freshly pureed. I have no solutions. We just used trial and error until we found something she likes to eat. She also eats while we do so she is super interested.

Anonymous said...

...and I loved those pictures. She is so so cute.

Craig and Monica said...

It just takes practice. My kids have all done the same thing as Madee. It "usually" gets easier if you make sure to offer it to her around the same time every day. Just try to be consistent. I think texture is also the reason she may be spitting it out. She just needs to get used to it. I've also found that if you mix rice cereal with a little apple juice it helps. Good luck! She is SO cute, by the way!

Michelle Stocking said...

Addy was the same way at first, but now she LOVES food. Just keep trying, but don't stress it.

Have you tried mixing pear puree or apple puree with veggies? I find that helps if they have a hard time with veggies.