Thursday, January 19, 2012

Green Thumb

I have a really hard time keeping things (besides children) alive.
Jessi gave us a plant as a housewarming gift: Dead.
Our butterflies barely made it out with their lives.
And do you remember my tomato plant???
Tragic.
So when my mom gave me an amaryllis bulb kit, I really delayed planting it.
I didn't need another plant's life on my conscience. 
But eventually, the little "ready to plant" box beckoned me, and I did it.
I watered it and kept it by the window, and what do you know... 
It grew!
And grew, and grew, and grew!
My plant was twice the size of my Mom's and sisters.
I felt that this was kind of monumental because of my track record,
therefore, I had to document it.
I kept a plant alive!




P.S.  So... I wrote this post a couple of weeks ago, and my dear amaryllis has since broken off and died.
 Epic Fail.

5 comments:

Crista Timothy said...

Do you remember the Japanese Money tree that Skip Smith used to take for walks around the office? Your post made me think of that for some reason.

Meek Family said...

They fall and die, but then come back if you keep taking care of it. We had one (it was also the only plant I could keep alive), and they are really good at coming back!

Holly said...

Don't be too hard on yourself they are supposed to fall off and die...but maybe you should just be honest with yourself now and resign to the fact that its not gonna come back.

Belle said...

beautiful-house plants seem to only do well with me for awhile too...maybe they need fertilizer and repotting, I don't know, I always thing they're doing well...then...

Carlye said...

Crista, I do remember the Japanese Money tree! Skip is so funny.
I had no idea that they grew back! When it broke off, I thought it was a goner and threw it away. . . Dang!